Come and visit our racehorse Living Legends, the Woodlands Homestead, magnificent heritage gardens, plus wild kangaroos and natural bushland.
Plus we do local pick-up and drop offs. So if you’re at Melbourne Airport and want to come and visit Living Legends, give us a call and we’ll come and get you. Then after your visit, we’ll drop you back to the airport!
- Visit the Living Legends — For a cost of $10 (adults) or $5 (concession), you can visit the Living Legends down in their paddocks on daily guided tours at 11.00 am and 2.00 pm each day. The fee includes entrance to the horse area, where you can visit with and pat the legends, plus have photos taken with the legends. There are also pictures and information about the legends provided in this area.
- See the wild kangaroos and explore the parklands — Enjoy the native flora and fauna and rich human history of the Woodlands Historic Park. See large mobs of wild kangaroos in their natural habitat, only 6 minutes from Melbourne Airport. The park totals over 700 hectares (1730 acres) and contains valuable remnants of the most southerly Victorian extent of grassy woodland open forest. The park also contains scarred trees and surface scatters, evidence of the Woiworung Aboriginal people, who lived in the area before Europeans arrived.
- Visit Woodlands Homestead — Wander through the historic Woodlands Homestead, which is a rare example of an early prefabricated building and gives a glimpse of the landscape of Victorian settlers in the 1840s. Staff members will be available to answer any questions that you might have about the homestead.
- Refreshments at Living Legends — Drop in for delightful refreshments at Living Legends. Have a Devonshire tea, a great coffee from our Coffee Cart, tea, or a light snack. All are available for purchase in the homestead, along with a selection of Living Legends merchandise.
- order a tasty picnic hamper as part of a Living Legends gift package to save yourself the trouble!
Have a picnic — Enjoy a picnic lunch among the magnificent River Red Gum trees at Living Legends, or in the Somerton picnic area where picnic tables, water, toilets and electric barbeques are available. Pack your own picnic, or you can
- Walking, cycling and horse-riding — Explore the many Woodlands Historic Park tracks including the 1.5 km (1 mile) Moonee Ponds Creek Nature Walk and the 2.5 km (1.6 miles) Murrup Gurrong Yan (Spiritual Creek Walk), and admire the native flora and fauna along the way. You can also walk up the nearby Gellibrand Hill, a 204 metre (670 ft) hill that allows you to explore granite boulders and enjoy a 360° view of the city, the bay, the Great Dividing Range and Melbourne Airport. Horse-riding paths are available across Woodlands Historic Park for those who wish to bring their own horses (horse entrance off Somerton Road).
- Experience the “Back Paddock” — Experience the wilder parts of the Woodlands Historic Park, away from Woodlands Homestead. Cycle or walk as you search for kangaroos, birds and other wildlife. Please remember to close the gates as this is a site for a recovery program for the threatened Eastern Barred Bandicoot.
- Visit the gardens — The gardens surrounding Woodlands Homestead are quite simply magnificent. These gardens include supreme magnolias, which are the oldest recorded European trees in Victoria. Come and smell the large plantings of Alister Clark Heritage Roses in the extensively restored heritage gardens.
- Weddings, parties, anything — Living Legends is an ideal venue for functions and events, including private functions, corporate functions, meetings and weddings.
Aircraft watching — Living Legends, just six minutes from Melbourne Airport, sits on the crest of a hill with an arresting view of the planes. Many aviation enthusiasts like to come to Living Legends just to see all manner of commercial aircraft executing their take-offs and landings, including the massive Airbus A380 — the world’s largest passenger airliner.
- Enjoy the tranquility — Artist and photography groups love to visit the Living Legends, Woodlands Homestead and the extensive Woodlands Historic Park. They enjoy painting and taking photos of the magnificent landscapes, gardens, birdlife, historic ruins, heritage artifacts, native fora and fauna, plus our champion racehorse Living Legends.
Do you offer gift packages?
Yes, we currently offer two different gift packages. These can be purchased for yourself or as a gift for family and friends.
Can I bring a tour group to Living Legends?
Yes, we welcome tour groups of all sizes. Tour packages include guided tours of the horses, homestead and gardens, and we can provide full catering services if you wish. Please check out our tours page, or contact email@example.com for more information.
Can I be part of a guided tour?
What else is there to do in the area?
Become a supporter, receive our newsletter, and be amongst the first to hear of news of our legends and special events.